An overview of the Kimberley and a profile of the economy, highlights a region with a diverse and constantly changing economy. Our people pursue development with exuberance and in an atmosphere of optimism about the future.
Potential opportunities for future growth include:
- Increased trade links with fast growing markets in nearby South East Asia.
- Economic development outcomes for Aboriginal people as a result of negotiated agreements under the Federal Native Title Act.
- Increased development of adventure, nature based and cultural tourism product to accommodate both domestic and international demand.
- Release and development of new irrigated agricultural land utilising abundant divertible water resources.
- Value adding to agricultural produce.
- Growth in exports of live cattle to South East Asian markets.
- Supply of high quality beef grown and processed in the region.
- Expansion of communications technology to improve service delivery.
- Development of a diverse range of aquaculture produce to tap increasing worldwide demand.
- Closer links with the Northern Territory to enable joint marketing and promotion of regional products.
- Maximised regional benefits from servicing the mining industry.
- Development of new industries based around scientific research and technology.