People, Place and Prosperity
The Commission has an objective to help align a vision that will guide the future. We hope that we will be influential in embedding the concept of People, Place and Prosperity throughout the Region.
This plan is to operationalise the Commission’s objectives and capacities into a practical, long range agenda for action.
Importantly, the Commission has a clear sense of purpose to guide its work and is progressively repositioning itself to be influential in the key regional processes that will shape the development of the future Kimberley. To meet these objectives the Commission plans to lead development with the Region’s first Investment Blueprint, and use its full range of effort to focus its activities on the catalytic regional priorities that will help Kimberley people deliver against their collective hopes and dreams.
The Commission has a strong and unified Vision
The Kimberley aspires to a long-term future transformed into one of the world’s most successful and sustainable regions. The hallmarks of success will be:
People: a well-housed, highly educated and healthy people enjoying high amenity in sustainable communities
Place: a place with outstanding infrastructure, services and governance set within a well-conserved and iconic natural environment
Prosperity: shared prosperity arising from the success of the region’s main drivers of economic opportunity; agriculture; range land Industries, tourism, minerals & energy.
The statutory objectives of the Kimberley Development Commission (KDC) are set out in Section 23 of the Regional Development Commissions Act 1993 (WA).
These statutory objectives are to:
- Maximise job creation and improve career opportunities;
- Develop and broaden the economic base of the region;
- Identify infrastructure services to promote economic and social development;
- Provide information and advice to promote business development;
- Seek to ensure that the general standard of government services and access to those services in the region is comparable to that which applies in the metropolitan area; and
- Generally take steps to encourage, promote, facilitate and monitor the economic development of the region.
For the purposes of achieving its statutory objectives as per the Regional Development Commissions Act 1993 (WA), the Kimberley Development Commission (KDC) functions are to:
- Promote the region;
- Facilitate coordination between relevant statutory bodies and State Government agencies;
- Cooperate with representatives of industry and commerce, employer and employee organisations, education and training institutions and other sections of the community within the region;
- Identify the opportunities for investment in the region and encourage that investment;
- Identify the infrastructure needs of the region, and encourage the provision of that infrastructure in the region;
- Cooperate with: Departments of the Public Service of the State and the Commonwealth, and other agencies, instrumentalities and statutory bodies of the State and the Commonwealth; and Local government authorities, in order to promote equitable delivery of services within the region.
Page last updated: Thu Feb 13 2020 8:42:18 AM
Don't hesitate to call the Kimberley Development Commission with any queries or comments.
7 Ebony Street (PO Box 620)
Kununurra Western Australia 6743
T: +61 8 9148 2100
Upstairs: Cnr Napier & Dampier Terrace (PO Box 172)
Broome, Western Australia 6725
T: +61 8 9194 3000
Derby Western Australia 6728
T: +61 8 9194 3000 (Broome)